[FM-India] A PhD position on Model-Driven Engineering for Privacy Policies

Madhavan Mukund madhavan at cmi.ac.in
Mon Nov 8 18:59:17 IST 2021

----- Forwarded message from Srdan Krstic <srdan.krstic at inf.ethz.ch> -----

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 12:52:05 +0100
From: Srdan Krstic <srdan.krstic at inf.ethz.ch>
To: <fmindia at cmi.ac.in>
Subject: A PhD position on Model-Driven Engineering for Privacy Policies

A long-standing question in software engineering is how to develop systems
that operate securely, reliably, and meet stringent standards for data
protection. One promising approach is model-driven engineering, where
software systems are designed using models that capture both functional and
security requirements.

These models have precise semantics, which supports rigorous reasoning
about them, as well as automatically generating large, non-trivial parts of
the implementation. We aim to extend these models to include typical
privacy requirements such as purpose limitation.

We are looking for a highly-motivated PhD student with a strong background
and interest in one or more of the following areas:

- software and model-driven engineering,
- formal methods for policy enforcement,
- information security, and
- programming language theory and methods and tools for program analysis.

The student would conduct research as a part of a project "Model-driven
Security and Privacy" funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation.

The working language is English.

Application deadline: applications will be assessed on a rolling basis;
please apply as soon as possible.

Starting date: December 1, 2021 or later
Duration: 3 years (minimum)
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Salary: approx. 70'000 CHF / year

Applications should include a curriculum vitae, a brief description of
research interests, transcripts of grades, 2-3 letters of recommendation
from teachers or employers, and, if possible, the Master's or Bachelor's
thesis and publications. Applications and informal inquiries should be sent
to Srdan Krstic at the following email address:

     infsec.positions at inf.ethz.ch

ETH Zurich specifically encourages women to apply with a view towards
increasing the proportion of female researchers.

Information Security group:
The Information Security Group (https://infsec.ethz.ch) carries out
research on methods and tools for the analysis and construction of safe and
secure systems. This includes methods for specifying systems, developing
systems in correctness-preserving ways, and verifying or testing existing
systems and infrastructures. Our goal is not only to build and analyze
novel systems and security solutions, but also to develop better methods
and tools for system engineering and quality assurance activities.

The city of Zurich:
Zurich is a diverse and multicultural city, which is consistently rated
among the best cities in the world to live in. We favor the same sort of
diversity that defines Zurich's cultural makeup and encourage anyone
matching the profile above to apply, regardless of where you are from.

----- End forwarded message -----