[FM-India] Positions for PhD–students and PostDocs

Baskar baskar at mais.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Jul 29 19:19:46 IST 2011

                                                          Positions for
PhD–students and PostDocs

**************************************

The TU Darmstadt is one of Germany’s top technical universities with an
outstanding nation-wide and
international reputation in research and education. Being part of
Theoretical Computer Science, the
chair Modeling and Analysis of Information Systems ( MAIS) is currently
offering positions for PhD-students
and PostDocs.

What are the positions about?
****************************
Our aim is to make IT systems more reliable and secure than they are
today. Due to the complexity of
today’s information systems and the manifold possibilities to attack
these systems, the development
of secure systems is a big technological challenge. To address this
challenge, we develop formal methods
and supporting tools that can be applied in the software-development
process and at runtime. We test
our approaches in case-studies in our Mobile Devices Lab and in
practice. In particular, we are working
on stepwise software development, information flow security,
side-channel analysis and runtime
monitoring. Currently, we are looking for candidates who are interested
in formal approaches for
information security in any of the above areas.

The position
************
Suitable candidates should have a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in
Computer Science or Mathematics.
For all our research topics, a solid background in formal methods or
logic is required. A background in
information security will be helpful, but is not a prerequisite. Prior
knowledge in any of the following
areas is also a plus: Automated Verification, Model Checking,
Model-based Software Development,
Concurrency Theory, Program Analysis, Side-channel Analysis, Runtime
Monitoring. Candidates should
be highly motivated to tackle challenging research topics and to
contribute to an open-minded team.

We offer a productive and continuously evolving research environment, in
which you can discuss ideas
and collaborate with team members who are working on related research
topics. Our international
connections as well as our involvement in interesting research projects,
for example the DFG priority
programme Reliably Secure Software Systems (RS3 ) and the Center for
Advanced Security Research
Darmstadt (CASED), provide further opportunities for inspiration and
collaborations. The publication of
your research results at highly ranked conferences will be expected and
supported. The positions offered
are regular jobs with social benefits. The salary will be based on the
TV-TU Darmstadt public service
salary scale (equivalent to former BAT IIa and TV-L). German language
skills are not required in the
beginning, but the willingness to learn German within the first year is
expected.

How to apply ?
**************
Please submit your application, preferably on paper, including your
detailed CV (including
your language skills in English and German), complete educational
transcripts with grades and degrees
(copies, no originals), description of your background and your research
interests, and, if possible, the
contact information of one or two references to Prof. Dr. Heiko Mantel,
TU Darmstadt, Department of
Computer Science, MAIS Group, Hochschulstraße 10, 64289 Darmstadt, Germany.

Deadline  for applications is the 9. August 2011. However, we will
consider applications until the position
is filled. The position is available immediately but a later start is
also possible.

TU Darmstadt is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes
applications from women. Disabled
persons having the same qualification will be preferred.

More information is available at
http://www.mais.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de.
In case of questions, please contact us by e-mail
(recruiting at mais.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de).