[FM-India] IARCS Verification Seminar Series -- Talk by S Akshay on Aug 2 at 1900 hrs IST

VSS IARCS vss.iarcs at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 19:54:22 IST 2022

Dear all,

The next talk in the IARCS Verification Seminar Series will be given by S
Akshay, a faculty member in the Department of Computer Science and
Engineering at IIT Bombay. The talk is scheduled on Tuesday, August 2, at
1900 hrs IST (add to Google calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=NjVsb2RyYzBydTUxMXFkYm1pbTgxZGplMDggdnNzLmlhcmNzQG0&tmsrc=vss.iarcs%40gmail.com>
).

The details of the talk can be found on the webpage (
https://fmindia.cmi.ac.in/vss/), and also appended to the body of this
email.

The Verification Seminar Series, an initiative by the Indian Association
for Research in Computing Science (IARCS), is a monthly, online
talk-series, broadly in the area of Formal Methods and Programming
Languages, with applications in Verification and Synthesis. The aim of this
talk-series is to provide a platform for Formal Methods researchers to
interact regularly. In addition, we hope that it will make it easier for
researchers to explore newer problems/areas and collaborate on them, and
for younger researchers to start working in these areas.

All are welcome to join.

Best regards,
Deepak, Madhukar, Rahul, Srivathsan

Title: Boolean functional synthesis: A view from theory and practice

Meeting Link:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89164094870?pwd=eUFNRWp0bHYxRVpwVVNoVUdHU0djQT09
(Meeting ID: 891 6409 4870, Passcode: 082194)

Abstract: It is often easy to write down the specification of a system as a
relation between inputs and outputs. But implementing it requires us to
take a functional view, i.e., to have functions that produce outputs from
inputs. The question we ask is if we can automatically synthesize such a
function from the given relation? In this talk, we focus on this question
in the Boolean setting.
We start by showing the centrality of this problem via a variety of
examples and applications. We then look at theoretical hardness results and
survey some algorithmic techniques that have been developed in recent years
to tackle this problem. This leads us to examine the structure of
specification in more depth and doing so we develop a theory of knowledge
representations for efficient synthesis. We end with several open questions
and avenues for future work.

Bio: S Akshay is a faculty member in the Department of Computer Science and
Engineering at IIT Bombay. His research interests span formal methods and
AI with a focus on automata theory, quantitative (timed/probabilistic)
verification and automated synthesis. He has given multiple recent
tutorials on automated functional synthesis in venues including Highlights
2022, AAAI 2022 and IJCAI 2022.