[FM-India] CFP: 14th IFIP TC9 Human Choice and Computers Conference, Tokyo, Japan, 9-11 Sept. 2020

gopal at annauniv.edu gopal at annauniv.edu
Wed Jan 8 16:10:27 IST 2020

14th IFIP TC9 Human Choice and Computers Conference:
“Human-Centric Computing in a Data-Driven Society”

Tokyo, Japan, 9th-11th September 2020
www.hcc14.net

Venue: Faculty of Global Informatics (iTL), Chuo University, Tokyo.
http://global.chuo-u.ac.jp/english/siteinfo/visit/ichigaya/

“People First : One Can Hide the Data but Not the Truth”

We are now living in a "data-driven society". Data is seen as the source
of value in the new digital age and creates added value for growth. The
development of IoT especially enables the collection of enormous amounts
of data in a range of ways and a variety of forms which can spread
around the world. Data utilization is likely to continue to expand and
become more and more important across all sectors of society, as the
spread and penetration of automation unfolds in the coming years.

All those engaged with trying to shape the technologies of today are in
some sense oriented toward the future.  Is the future bright?  And if so
who and what will make it so – and for whom?  As individuals and as team
members vision and ingenuity are needed to help us realize a positive
future for all.

In a data-driven society, all our choices, actions, locations, emotions,
and behaviours are monitored, measured, interpreted, compared, and
rated. While data is sometimes called the new oil, also this form of
extraction comes with its challenges. In a data-driven society, existing
inequalities can be deepened rather than solved (e.g., preventing
policing, access to health insurance). While oil was a driver for
economic growth, its negative effects on our planet and biosphere
remained for long invisible. This time we should do better and
investigate not only data as a driver of growth, but also as a driver of
change we may not want to see.

The IT Industry is recognizing that a healthy employee work/life balance
is essential for long-term enthusiasm and success. It is clear that a
strong architectural plan with input from all stakeholders creates a
vastly different, participative and delivery-focused working
environment. The continued commitment to creating excellence and an
atmosphere that embraces change should be the foundational
characteristics of the IT Industry in the future. Treating people like
they are human beings rather than automata to extract value from, is a
concept that should be back in fashion.The digital traces one leaves
behind each day reveal more than one knows, and such data is
increasingly being used to aid organizations in swaying public opinion
(cf. Cambridge Analytica and the Brexit vote / US Elections / India).As
the scandals of Surveillance Capitalism (fake news makes more money)
come face-to-face with true human development needs, and the
ever-sharpening focus on the need for sustainable solutions, change is
needed.  It is also paramount to remember, moreover, that our
conceptions of being human and hence what we understand within a
particular cultural / historical context vary significantly from culture
to culture, whilst our notion of what we consider as being human is
being increasingly shaped by the technologies that we use.

The coming together of Computing, Control and Communications is
resulting in several unforeseen outcomes that are beginning to make
“Being Human” more and more of a challenge.   It is no more a trilogy of
human–centric, technology–centric and data-centric practices both in
Data Management and Software Engineering. Humanizing in this context
entails Privacy, Safety, Security, Human Relationships and Personal
Growth; it requires new governance models for new data economy
ecosystems. This is proving to be both an answer and a challenge to the
productivity paradox in IT and the goal of achieving a positive future.

Human : Machine :: Efficacy : Effectiveness

Data-driven innovations, in short, are increasingly understood as only
being successful and fit for purpose if they are favorable for all
humanity, and not simply designed to fulfil the priorities of
monopolisation and the concentration of wealth in ever fewer hands.
Research into these and related issues needs to straddle multiple areas
of academic studies, following the principle that technology must be of
benefit to humanity and fostering faith in humanity at large is at its
foundation.

Since 1974, the Human Choice and Computers (HCC) conference series has
consistently fostered innovative thinking about the interfaces between
society and technology.  At this time, HCC14 in 2020 focuses on
“Human-Centric Computing in a Data-Driven Society” and welcomes inputs
from members of academia and research, civic society, computing
associations, industry, and the IT professions on the following (and
related) themes:

•	Developing New Technologies Using Data for Human Society.
•	Ethical and Legal Issues for Data Analytics and Big Data.
•	Social Accountability and Responsibility for Computing and Data
Utilization.
•	Data-work in relation to Gender and Diversity, Work, Educational and
Daily Life.
•	How data helps to make the world a better place – with a demonstrable
focus on the better, and where better is not the same as making
organisations richer and CEOs more powerful.
•	Harnessing Information with Unconscious Bias
•	Legal Systems for Criminal Offences and Abuse
•	Ethical governance models for new data economy ecosystems
•	How did we get here? Precedents, and lessons from the past.
•	How culturally diverse interpretations / understandings of life-work
balance, of being human, and slow-tech and techno-feminist
understandings of a data-driven society can help us shape a more
human-centric computing environment
•	Impact on International Security, Intelligence, and War.
•	Environmental Impact of Big Data
•	ICT for Development: Global Industries, Developing Economies,
Sustainability.
•	Analysis, design, construction, specification, development and testing
of IT artefacts to defined deadlines and exacting standards
•	Impact analysis of human endeavour and data analytics
•	Security and privacy for big data and data analytics
•	Using collaborative skills to work with team members in order to
ensure reliability, availability and performance of applications
•	Connectivity/digitalization affecting our working and/or private lives
•	The view of human nature in a data-driven society

HCC14 will also welcome co-located TC9 Working Group Workshops

Working Group 9.1: Computers and Work - 10th CNoW: Int’l Workshop on
Changing Nature of Work with ICT
AI in the Workplace: Navigating the Age of Digital Automation
With the Internet and abundant smart devices, the paradigm of computing
now turns into a new world of digital automation with the strong
presence of AI in the workplace (Davenport & Kirby, 2015; Genpact,
2018). People expect AI might replace or displace humans from current
jobs in the near future, and that  AI will multiply the cognitive and
analytic powers of machines and augment or displace human capacities
(Robinson & Bogen, 2017; Tito, 2017).  Decision support, and robots
controlling intelligence augmentation have been used at work, but the
larger scale of novel AI applications based on deep learning
technologies and underlying bigdata constitute a new challenge. In this
context, this workshop takes the view of real – human - workers.  AI in
the workplace will present opportunities as well as challenges for
modern day organizations. These opportunities and challenges include
changes in work practices including social and institutional aspects as
well as business models. In this workshop, therefore, we are aiming to
identify the changes that are and will be occurring in the work
environment, work routines, related policies, and business models. Other
softer side issues involved in shifting towards AI are also welcome. In
this regard, this workshop aims at explicating cases and theories
concerning visions of AI replacing functions and activities, as well as
insightful frameworks of AI, shape and patterns in AI platforms, and/or
smart offices enabled by AI technologies.  The scope will be shaped by
the imaginations of participants’ creative contributions to the topic.
Submissions of manuscripts dealing with interdisciplinary issues across
political and strategic lines, as well as social and technological
issues, are strongly encouraged.

Working Group 9.2: Social Accountability and Computing
To share or not to share – Social responsibility to share health related
information.
There has been much active discourse concerning why people’s privacy
should be protected and what are the rights of patients related to their
health information. However, this is an issue that also needs to be
looked at from the viewpoint of social responsibility, because health
information does not have value only for the person sharing it but also
for common good. While privacy arguments for protecting health related
information are valuable, the aim is to enlarge the discussion to other,
less individualistically oriented, approaches.  This workshop will
explore various openings to both sides: To share or not to share.
Submissions related to health information, privacy, social
accountability and responsible research and innovation are warmly
welcomed!”

Working Group 9.5: Our Digital Lives
Given the prevalence of connectivity and digital work in its various
forms, in this workshop we are interested in studies (including
work-in-progress) exploring any aspect of ‘Our Digital Lives’ following
our Working Group’s general theme. Example topics include (but are not
limited to): digital work in its social context, digital health, digital
education, digital labour, digital games, digital tourism, online
communities, social media, augmented or virtual reality, emerging
technologies, or artificial intelligence.
Submissions are welcomed that offer fresh theoretical or empirical
insights into how our digital lives have transformed the way we work,
communicate, and play together.

Working Group 9.8: Gender, Diversity and ICT
WG 9.8 calls for papers that explore work that unfolds with and around
data; that is, work that takes place in the very collection, use, and
undertakings of and on data (Fisher et al. 2017, Bossen et al. 2019) –
including the often invisible forms of work (e.g. Star and Strauss
1999). With this, we are interested in studies that explore the
resources (social, cultural, material, digital) that are mobilized for
digital data to serve in work, educational settings, and/or daily life.
We are interested in the topic from perspectives of gender and diversity
and call for papers that bring feminist concerns into the analyses and
e.g. explore instances of data bias (Perez 2019) in such particular
work.  At the same time, we welcome papers on other topics related to
gender and diversity.

Paper Submission
================
The conference is open to attendees at all stages of career and
education, whether you are at the start, middle or peak of your career,
either as academics or practitioners. Submitted papers should be
approximately 3,000-5,000 words in length.  Please return your paper,
using the appropriate format, through hhttp://www.hcc14.net/ or
https://easychair.org/cfp/HCC14

The Easychair Submission Link:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=hcc14
Please be sure to indicate whether you are submitting to the conference
general theme, or to one of three specific workshops.  Papers must be
anonymized for blind peer review.

Chairs
=======
Conference Chair: Taro Komukai
Program Committee Chairs: Taro Komukai, David Kreps, Gopal TV, Kaori
Ishii
Organizing Committee Chair: Kaori Ishii
Main Editor: David Kreps
Co-Editors: Taro Komukai, Gopal TV, Kaori Ishii

Workshop Chairs: WG9.1 Jungwo Lee; WG9.2 Jani Koskinen; WG9.5 Petros
Chamakiotis and Brad McKenna

Important Dates
January 31, 2020               - Submissions due
March 31, 2020                 - Notification of acceptance/rejection
April 30, 2020                 - Submission of camera-ready papers
July 31, 2020                  - Deadline for early bird registration
September 9 - 11, 2020         - Conference dates.

Digital Equity Committee Funding