[FM-India] CSAW at IIT Kanpur -- Nov 10-12 -- please ask your students to participate
Sandeep K. Shukla
sandeeps at cse.iitk.ac.in
Sun Sep 11 14:52:52 IST 2016
Even though this is an FM related mailing list -- but I hope that you can pass on this information to your colleagues who might be interested in cyber security.
We want to bring to your attention the forthcoming Cyber Security Awareness week event at IIT Kanpur during Nov 10-12, 2016 concurrently organized with New York University's Tandon School of Engineering, and NYU-Abu Dhabi. This is one of the largest student driven cyber security competition and awareness event globally, and this year, this program is expanded to cover India, and Middle east to bring the awareness beyond the United States. Please see http://csaw.iitk.ac.in for more info. Below we briefly provide some information about the various events in which your students may want to participate.
We are hoping that you will send your students to participate in the events during Nov 10-12, 2016. There are multiple different events that the students can take part in:
1. Capture the Flag Competition (CTF) -- where undergraduate student teams can compete to find cyber security vulnerabilities, breach cyber security of staged systems, and win prizes. The competition will be global -- directly run by New York University, but Indian students will connect to the competition servers from IIT Kanpur.
2. Embedded Security Challenge (ESC) -- where secure embedded systems design challenge will be announced early-- and students will get time to design secure embedded systems on FPGA boards with open source tools. Selected finalists will be invited to take part in the finals at IIT Kanpur during November 10-12, 2016. The top three competitors for the Embedded Security Challenge in India will be given the opportunity to present their solution at the 14th ACM-IEEE International Conference on Formal Methods and Models for Co-Design (MEMOCODE 2016) in a special session at the conference. The competitors will also be given the opportunity to publish a 2-4 pages paper in the IEEE-Xplore version of the conference proceedings. The MEMOCODE 2016 conference will be held at IIT Kanpur 18-20 Nov, 2016. This opportunity to publish and present at an international conference is an added bonus on top of awards for the top three competitors of the Embedded Security Challenge.
3. Applied Research Competition -- Eligible submissions include any paper published between September 1, 2015 and August 31, 2016, on any topic related to the application of security technology, the implementation of security systems, or lessons learned. Accepted papers are presented by one of the authors in poster-format during the CSAW research poster session on-site at IIT Kanpur during Nov 10-12, 2016, where industry experts evaluate the originality, relevance and accuracy of their work, and award prizes. This is open to all undergraduate and post graduate students who have been an author on a paper during the time period mentioned above.
4. Quiz Contest -- a multi-round quiz contest will be organized and your institute teams may win the award. The teams may have students as well as researchers, faculty, engineers and staff. The quiz contest at IITK will be separate from the contest in the other two sites but will be organized at the same time.
5. Policy Competition -- for students and researchers who are interested in cyber security policy questions can participate in the policy competition. The Policy Competition challenges contestants to think about the big picture of cyber security law, policy, economics, and governance. Students are given a prompt that raises important cyber security policy issues. They must respond with a proposal that engages the issues in the prompt. Strong papers will be those with original ideas and a multi-disciplinary approach. The top teams compete on-site at the finals, where they present a revised and expanded version of their work to a panel of experts, who evaluate the feasibility of their proposals, their understanding of the issues at play, the creativity of their ideas and more.
6. Job fair and interaction with private industry and government employers -- participants can talk to various agencies, and industries regarding career opportunities in cyber security.
We hope your department, and your institute can take active part in these events. Registrations will start on July 1st. Please help us spread the words by alerting your students, researchers and faculty regarding the events. It gives the participants scope to get involved in an international event, learn, compete, win prizes, network with future employers, and most importantly get awareness of cyber security which is a pressing need of today's digital society.
Please also direct the students to the event website http://csaw.iitk.ac.in and if you or prospective participants have any questions, please email me at naziairshad9 at gmail.com.
We look forward to see vibrant participation from your institute. Some of the deadlines are approaching but some are also going to get extended. Please check the website for the various deadlines and any extensions.
Dr. Sandeep K. Shukla
Poonam and Prabhu Goel Chair Professor
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
From: FMIndia [mailto:fmindia-bounces at cmi.ac.in] On Behalf Of Filippo Gaudenzi
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2016 6:34 PM
To: fmindia at cmi.ac.in
Subject: [FM-India] [Deadline approaching] IWASC2016
[Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message]
CALL FOR PAPERS
FOURTH INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON SECURITY ASSURANCE IN THE CLOUD (IWSAC 2016) Held in conjunction with the 12nd International Conference on Signal Image Technology & Internet Based Systems (SITIS 2016) One day between November 28 - December 1, 2016, Naples, Italy Web site: http://sesar.di.unimi.it/IWSAC2016
IWSAC 2016 BACKGROUND AND GOALS
Cloud computing paradigm provides a new environment fostering the integration of services located within company boundaries with those in the Cloud. An increasing number of organizations implement their business processes and applications via runtime composition of services made available in the Cloud by external suppliers. This scenario is changing the traditional view of security introducing new service security risks and threats, and requires re-thinking of current assurance, development, testing, and verification methodologies. In particular, security assurance in the cloud is becoming a pressing need to increase the confidence of the cloud actors that the cloud and its services are behaving as expected, and requires novel approaches addressing cloud peculiarities. In addition, the increasing usage of cloud resources as a means to perform big data analytics introduces the need of adapting existing assurance solutions towards big data. On one side, security assurance techniques can benefit from the availability of big data (big data for security assurance), while on the other side they can be applied to verify properties of big data analytics (security assurance for big data). IWSAC 2016 is the fourth edition of the International Workshop on Security Assurance in the Cloud. It aims to address the security assurance issues related to Cloud and Big Data environments, along with evaluating their impact on traditional security solutions for software and network systems.
The workshop seeks submissions from academia and industry presenting novel research on all theoretical and practical aspects of security and assurance of Cloud and Big Data services, as well as experimental studies in Cloud and Big Data infrastructures, the implementation of services, and lessons learned. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
* Accountability in the cloud
* Authentication and access control in the cloud
* Big Data for security assurance
* Big Data analytics monitoring and testing
* Big Data analytics verification
* Big Data security and privacy
* Challenges in moving critical systems to the cloud
* Cloud audit, certification, and compliance
* Cloud transparency, introspection, and outrospection
* Data security and privacy in the Cloud
* Evidence-based assurance of cloud services
* Information assurance and trust management
* Intrusion detection in the cloud
* Policy compliance
* Security assurance in the cloud
* Security assurance for big data
* Security and assurance protocols in the cloud
* Security and privacy in the cloud
* Service level agreements
* Service procurement in the cloud
* Verification of cloud services
Submission deadline: September 11, 2016 (11:59 PM American Samoa time) Acceptance/Reject notification: October 9, 2016
Camera-ready: October 16, 2016
Author Registration: October 23, 2016
Submissions must not substantially overlap papers that have been published or that are simultaneously submitted to a journal or conference/workshop with proceedings. Each submission should be at most 8 pages in total including bibliography and well-marked appendices, and must follow the IEEE double columns publication format available at
- [Microsoft Word DOC] ftp://pubftp.computer.org/Press/Outgoing/proceedings/instructA4x2.doc
- [LaTex Formatting Macros] ftp://pubftp.computer.org/Press/Outgoing/proceedings/IEEE_CS_LatexA4x2.zip
Submissions are to be made to the submission web site https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sitis2016 by selecting track "Workshop on Security Assurance in the Cloud". Only pdf files will be accepted. Submissions not meeting these guidelines risk rejection without consideration of their merits. All submitted papers will be carefully evaluated based on originality, significance, technical soundness, and clarity of expression by at least three reviewers. The organizers will examine the reviews and make final paper selections.
Authors of accepted papers must guarantee that their papers will be presented at the workshop. At least one author of each accepted paper must register for the workshop. A single registration for the workshop or the conference allows attending both events.
All the papers accepted for the workshop will be included in the conference proceedings. The proceedings will be published by IEEE Computer Society. Content will be submitted to the indexing companies for possible indexing. The proceedings will be available at the conference.
IWSAC 2016 COMMITTEES AND CHAIRS
* Claudio A. Ardagna, Universita' degli Studi di Milano, Italy
* Ernesto Damiani, ETISALAT BT Innovation Center, Khalifa University, UAE
* George Spanoudakis, City University of London, UK
* Filippo Gaudenzi, Universita' degli Studi di Milano, Italy
* Marco Anisetti, Universit‡ degli Studi di Milano, Italy
* Ioannis Askoxylakis, FORTH-ICS, Greece
* Michele Bezzi, SAP, France
* Nora Cuppens-Boulahia, Telecom Bretagne, France
* Theo Dimitrakos, British Telecommunications, UK
* Eduardo Fernandez, Florida Atlantic University, USA
* William Michael Fitzgerald, Tyco GBS, Ireland
* Nils Gruschka, NEC Laboratories Europe, Germany
* Mathias Kohler, SAP, Germany
* Patrick Hung, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Canada
* Meiko Jensen, Southern Denmark University, Denmark
* Nicolas Larrieu, ENAC, France
* Jesus Luna, Cloud Security Alliance, UK
* Antonio Mana, Universidad de Malaga, Spain
* Siani Pearson, HP Labs, UK
This call for papers and additional information about the conference can be found at http://sesar.di.unimi.it/IWSAC2016
FMIndia mailing list
FMIndia at cmi.ac.in
More information about the FMIndia