[FM-India] Research grants in CRDTs and Distributed Aggregation

Madhavan Mukund madhavan at cmi.ac.in
Tue Jun 4 21:44:49 IST 2013

         Research grants in CRDTs and Distributed Aggregation
                                  at
             High Assurance Software Laboratory (HASlab),
                Universidade do Minho, Braga, Portugal

We are opening several new positions in HASLab, to be supported by (up
to) two year research grants.

- One of the grants is for a Post Doc, to join the local team that is
  working on the evolution of CRDTs (Conflict-free Replicated Data
  Types). This is a very active research topic with growing impact in
  both industry and academia. We are looking for someone that can
  share our vision and work with us and our research
  associates. Possible research topics to be pursued by the successful
  candidate include the composition of CRDTs (with correctness proofs
  by construction), efficient update dissemination under different
  channel assumptions, and unification of state based and operation
  based models. Prospective candidates should check this announcement
  and apply for research line RL3.

- Another grant is aimed at candidates holding an MSc degree, to join
  our research line in Distributed Data Aggregation. The successful
  candidate is expected to research on distributed aggregation,
  e.g. Flow Updating and Extrema Propagation, and explore improvements
  to allow for faster and more reactive adaptation to changes in the
  network and monitored values. These research activities would be
  compatible with part-time enrollment in our PhD program, which the
  successful candidate will be encoraged to pursue. Prospective
  candidates should consult this announcement and apply for research
  line RL3.1.

HASLab has a very active research team in Large Scale Distributed
Systems, working in both Systems and Theory. Our Laboratory is located
in the Braga Campus of Universidade do Minho, one of the top state
funded research universities in Portugal and in the top 3% of Scimago
IBE ranking. We are part of the Associate Laboratory INESC TEC.  Braga
is very close to the Gerês Natural Park, and has good connections to
Porto (and its vibrant cultural life) and the International Airport
(30 min shuttle bus to Braga). It also has a very competitive cost of
living in comparison to other European cities.

This call is open from June, 12th to June, 26th, 2013.

Any questions, contact Carlos Baquero at cbm at di.uminho.pt